Monday, April 26, 2010

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Let me preface this review by giving you a brief history of my experience with the Harry Potter franchise. As of August of last year, I had not seen any of the Harry Potter films, nor had I read any of the books; that changed in the following month, when I used a wondrous invention (known as "Netflix") to rent the first film.

I had heard warnings that the first couple of movies weren't very good, but I found that to be untrue, as I enjoyed the first film very much, and made it a point to rent the second as soon as possible. Then the third. Then the fourth. Then the fifth. Before I knew it, I had watched all of the available films in around ten days. The sixth film had not yet been released on DVD, but was also not at any available theaters, so I had to wait until it was released in the nearby $1.50 theater, where I viewed it the day it began showing, and enjoyed it immensely. But I wanted more.

Many times, people will tell you that a series of books is better than the series of films that it spawns, and in many cases, that is the truth, so I decided to dive head-first into the books, and I bought a box-set of the first six. (They didn't have a box-set that contained all seven at the time) In the case of Harry Potter, it was true; the books were better. The films still stand up as being good and highly enjoyable, but the books bring much more detail to the world of Harry Potter. The stories are expanded, with more revelations and story-lines, as well as more of the wonderful characters, who are even more fleshed out in the novels.

If you have somehow managed to avoid the series for so long, as I did, I wholeheartedly recommend that you check out the series, whether in book or movie form.

I'd also like to preface this review by saying that I WILL NOT REVEAL ANY SPOILERS. So, let's get to the review.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

So, how would I describe this book? In a word: Excellent. The story is as good (if not better) as any other book of the series, and has much in store for the readers: Many questions that readers have had are answered, and there are several revelations in store that J.K. Rowling had planned from when she began writing the series.

The characters remain wonderful, and generally behave as we expect them to; nothing can ruin a character like the author not understanding the character that they are writing. Luckily for all of us, J.K. Rowling knows her characters, and writes them perfectly. With Deathly Hallows, J.K. Rowling really shows how good of a storyteller she is, and skillfully brings the series to a completely satisfying conclusion.

I know this review is short, but I really want to avoid spoilers. Just know this: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in an amazing end to a marvelous series. If you're a fan, I don't see how you could possibly be disappointed.

**** 4 out of 4

1 comment: